Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Passing time...

Well, since I'm not getting anything productive done right now, I thought I might work on one of my to-do list tasks. I like how "to-do" is close to "ta-da" and sometimes if I read it quickly, my brain reads the latter and has a little jump of excitement. Perhaps if I finished all the tasks on my to-do list I could exclaim Ta Da! and be done with it. Not the case right now. I have been making to-do lists daily for about a week. The only difference seems to be the date I assign to the top of the list – yes, still the same list. No, didn't get any of these tasks finished up yesterday. It's not much, just small things that take personal time that I don't want to give, but at this point it's becoming more of a to-do that these items are hanging out on the list than it is to just buckle down and do them.

Of course, several of the tasks have to do with rifling through files and checking up on insurance claims and settling some money accounts, which on one hand is a great task because it would be a really good and important one to finish, but on the other hand is a lousy task because it will involve a lot of confusion and calling around and pointing out the insurance company that one claim was for me and the other claim, that they're saying is "suspected duplicate," is actually for the same service on the same day, but for my dependent spouse (eye exam). If they actually read the fax cover page that accompanied the claim, then they'd know that and could stop fielding my calls! I've only called once. It was great, they said they'd take care of it right away, and apologized for the mistake and the delay. The next day I saw it was in pending status, and the day following was denied for "possible duplicate." Right. This will be more fun to call them the second time.

Rowing season is right around the corner, and I've been attempting to spend a few minutes thinking about what I want to get out of the season. The fees aren't cheap, and I'm on super budget, so the first conversation I have to have with myself is whether or not participating in rowing is really worth it. I've decided it is. Even when rowing in a crappy boat with a bunch of people who don't know what they're doing and end up jerking you all over the place, there are always a few moments of good glide on the water that feel great. Not to mention, a good boat with synchronized teammates is ecstatic feeling. I've been erging all winter, and pulled a 2,000 m time last weekend that I'm quite pleased with, so I may as well indulge myself. I just have to be careful not to complain about club politics to Jim so much, I think it wears on him.

So I'm not going to any Outside regattas this year, and I'm missing one of the two in-state regattas for the MS bike ride, so my racing opportunities are obviously quite limited. I'm hoping that if I'm a good sport, then I'll get to practice in racing boats even if I'm not racing, instead of being boated in more of a misfit ship. I've been talking with some friends about arranging a 4 to row once a week so we can have some guaranteed good water time.

Tomorrow morning I'm doing round two of the hydrostatic body fat test. It's strange to think it's been 6 months since the first one! This time I have all the rules about not eating and drinking, and have a good mind to adhere to them. Suppose I'll be posting the results for all of you tomorrow; be sure to tune in for the next update.

No comments: