Friday, October 26, 2007

Spelling, spelling everywhere

I always enjoy finding spelling errors and typos in published media. Although it annoys me (a part of me thinks "who let THIS get past the copyeditor?"), it feels good to find it myself. I try and use these situations as reminders to myself to always have a fresh set of eyes review documents before they are deemed "final."

Case in point: I read yesterday's blog and was troubled by the spelling of the author of In the Heart of the Sea (which I also misrepresented the title). It looked strange. I googled "Nathaniel Philbrook" on Amazon and found this: http://www.amazon.com/Mayflower-Nathaniel-Philbrook/dp/1419390031 but when I clicked on the author's name, no additional books popped up. I then googled "whaleship essex" and found the correct spelling of the author's name: Nathaniel Philbrick. Sorry, Nate. My mistake.

No comments: